There is no such thing as a drunk driving “accident.” Every crash caused by an intoxicated driver is 100% preventable. When a person makes a choice to consume alcohol and operate a motor vehicle—and that choice injures or kills another person—they must be held accountable under the law.
If you were injured or lost a loved one in a Kentucky car accident caused by a drunk driver, a Lexington drunk driving accident lawyer from Peterson Law Office is ready to answer your questions.
During a free consultation, we can sit down with you to review your case details and advise you of avenues for recovery. You may be entitled to financial compensation for medical bills, property damage, lost wages, and other damages through a personal injury lawsuit.
Contact our Lexington, KY law office today to set up a no-cost case evaluation with a personal injury attorney.
Why Is Drunk Driving So Dangerous?
There is no question that drunk driving kills. Decades of research has proven beyond doubt that a drunk driver is a dangerous driver.
A person who chooses to drive while intoxicated already knows the risks. That’s why judges and juries in Lexington, KY are often willing to award such large verdicts to plaintiffs who sustained injuries in drunk driving cases—they know the crash was completely preventable and should never have happened in the first place.
Alcohol impairs the human brain in a number of ways that are highly detrimental when operating a motor vehicle. A drunk driver is impaired by:
- Slowed reaction times
- Blurred vision
- Decreased alertness
- Risk of loss of consciousness
- Poor coordination
- Diminished spatial awareness
- Weakened judgment and decision-making skills
- Lack of control leading to risky, reckless, and aggressive driving behaviors
Do I Need a Lawyer After an Accident Caused by a Drunk Driver?
If you suffered injuries or a family member was killed in a drunk driving accident, it’s best to hire a lawyer to represent you in this important legal matter. It’s critical that a car accident case involving a drunk driver reach an outcome that awards justice to the victim and prevents the wrongdoer from endangering other lives in the future.
When you are facing costly medical expenses after serious injuries, seeking compensation from the at-fault driver’s insurance company is often the best way to afford the quality medical care you need. You should never be left with the financial burden of another person’s choice to drive intoxicated.
Drunk driving accidents can be highly complex and difficult to prove. A motorist charged with drunk driving will almost certainly retain a lawyer to fight for them. Your personal injury lawyer can be a powerful advocate who can make sure the case’s resolution benefits the victim and not the wrongdoer.
Why Choose Peterson Law Office After Injury?
At Peterson Law Office, your recovery is the thing we care about most. After establishing a meaningful attorney-client relationship, we will work tirelessly to see you obtain what you are entitled to under the law. Our law firm can help you by:
- Investigating the accident and determining liability
- Handling insurance company communications for you
- Filing your car accident claim within deadlines set by the statute of limitations
- Gathering evidence needed to prove the other driver was intoxicated
- Identifying any third-party liability that may have contributed to your car crash
- Calculating the full value of all economic and noneconomic losses you suffered
- Determining whether punitive damages apply in your case
- Securing your medical records to prove the severity of your injuries
- Negotiating a full and fair settlement
- Preparing to take your case to court if necessary
- Taking care of all legal matters with care and expertise, allowing you to heal and recover with confidence
The types of cases we handle at Peterson Law Office include:
- Driving under the influence of alcohol
- Driving under the influence of prescription drugs
- Driving under the influence of illicit drugs and controlled substances
Our law firm also handles third-party liability drunk driving accident cases, such as those involving Kentucky dram shop laws. In some cases, it may be possible for you to hold a negligent bar, restaurant, or other liquor-licensed establishment liable for knowingly overserving a customer.
What Compensation Is Available for Drunk Driving Accident Victims?
Drunk driving accidents often result in severe physical injuries. When you seek compensation through a personal injury claim, your attorney from our law office will make sure the totality of your losses is calculated, including both economic and noneconomic damages.
Economic damages in drunk driving vehicle accidents often include:
- Damage to your vehicle or other property
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost income and benefits from time off work
- Reduced earning capacity
Noneconomic damages after a serious accident may involve:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium or loss of companionship in a wrongful death case
Although punitive damages—those awarded above and beyond compensatory damages in order to punish the victim—are rare in personal injury cases, they may apply in a small number of drunk driving car accidents. A lawyer from our law firm can advise you of your right to seek punitive damages if applicable.
The car accident attorneys from Peterson Law Office will go the extra mile to understand the many ways your life was impacted by your Lexington, KY drunk driving accident. This allows us to seek maximum compensation on your behalf.
Lexington, Kentucky Drunk Driving FAQs
Here are some of the most frequently asked questions about drunk driving accidents in Lexington, KY.
Q: What Is the Kentucky Statute of Limitations for DUI Accidents?
If your accident occurred in Kentucky, there are state deadlines that dictate how long you have to take legal action against the responsible party. In Kentucky, a no-fault state, the typical statute of limitations is two years from the accident, or two years from the date the last PIP payment was paid by your insurance company. Other specific scenarios mandate a one-year statute of limitations.
These deadlines can be complicated. If you miss a deadline, you will be rendered ineligible for compensation. Schedule a case evaluation with a Lexington, KY lawyer as soon as you can following your accident.
Q: What Happens if I’m Partially at Fault?
Kentucky law recognizes that more than one party may be at fault for an accident. Even if your actions partially contributed to the crash, you are still entitled to seek compensation. Your award amount will be reduced by your percentage of fault. In a drunk driving accident case, there could be multiple at-fault parties, including the drunk motorist and any party found liable under dram shop laws and social host liability laws.
Q: How Do You Prove the Responsible Party Was Intoxicated?
Every motorist has a duty to protect other drivers, pedestrians, and bicyclists by acting safely on the road. A motorist who drives while under the influence of alcohol violates this duty of care. But how do you prove the other driver was drunk? Your attorney may look to evidence such as:
- Police reports
- Arrests made at the scene, such as a DUI charge
- Dashcam, traffic cam, or security camera footage
- Bills and credit card receipts showing the driver bought alcohol before the crash
- Cell phone photos and videos
- Social media posts
- Eyewitness testimony
- Expert witness statements
Q: What if I Can’t Afford a Car Accident Lawyer?
Before you decide attorneys fees are out of your reach, talk to a lawyer about payment plans. At Peterson Law Office, we take most cases on a contingency fee basis. This means we don’t take any payment until we win your case for you. Then, we take a small percentage of your award to cover all legal fees. We find this model works best for our clients, giving them the chance to receive expert legal advocacy without upfront costs.
Q: What Should I Do After an Accident?
It’s always best to act quickly before evidence disappears and the deadline for legal action expires. Here are a few steps to take after a drunk driving accident:
- Get the other driver’s name, contact and insurance information at the scene.
- Call the police to come make an accident report.
- Take pictures and videos of the crash scene.
- Seek medical attention. Even if you feel fine, schedule a physical exam with your doctor.
- Contact an experienced law firm to discuss your next steps.
A Lexington Car Accident Lawyer From Peterson Law Office Is Ready To Answer Your Questions
Drunk driving accidents are tragic events that should never occur. But sadly, residents of Lexington, KY and the rest of the state suffer the devastating effects of drunk driving every day.
If you were injured in a wreck caused by an intoxicated driver, come speak to a car accident lawyer from our law office. Our caring and experienced legal team is ready to answer your questions during a free consultation. Contact us by phone or online to set up a meeting.